How to fix ‘iPhones is disabled’ error
‘iPhone is disabled. Try again in …minutes’ is a common error with many iOS users when they enter the wrong passcode too many times. However, there are not many people know to fix this issue. In this article, we will show you how to fix the disabled iPhone error via iTunes (or iCloud) if you have forgotten the passcode.
How to fix disabled iPhones on iTunes
If you enter the wrong passcode up to 9 times, all you need to do is wait. You will see a ‘try again in X minutes’ message. During that time, you are not able to do many things with your iPhone, but you can still make emergency calls.
- Erase your device with iTunes
Once the waiting time is up, your iPhone screen will change back to the normal background and you are able to try again. It is very important for you to input your passcode carefully. However, if you get it wrong again, that time you should think about connecting with iTunes to restore your iPhone.
If you have synchronized your device with iTunes, you can restore your device
- Connect your device to the computer you have synced with.
- Launch iTunes
- Wait for iTunes to sync your device and make a backup.
- Once the sync and backup have finished, click on Restore button
- When you reach the Set Up screen after restoring your iOS device, tap on Restore from iTunes backup.
- Select your device in iTunes and choose the backup you have just created.
- Restore your iPhone with iCloud
Fixing the disabled iPhone is not always simple. Some iPhone owners find that connecting to iTunes cannot still fix the disabled iPhone error
If you have tried to connect to iTunes, but it does not work, you may use iCloud to fix the issue.
iCloud is an alternative method of wiping the disabled iPhone and starting your device again. However, this is only possible, if you have set up Find My iPhone, and your disabled iPhone has the data connection.
On your computer (or another device: iPhone or iPad), go to icloud.com and click on Find iPhone. You will have to enter the password of your Apple account. After a few seconds, a map will appear showing the current location of your devices. Click on All Devices at the top, and then select the iPhone you want to erase. Click Erase iPhone.
- Use Recovery Mode
Recovery Mode is a more drastic way for wiping your device, and solve the ‘iPhone is disabled’ issue. If three of ways above do not work, you should use the Recovery Mode to restore your device. Here are some steps to put your iPhone into Recovery Mode:
- Plug the USB cable into your computer but do not connect it to the iPhone.
- Launch iTunes.
- Power off your device
- Long-pressing the Home button and the Power button for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, release the Power button, but still holding the Home button.
- Now connect your lightning cable with your iPhone.
- iTunes will display a pop-up with a messages shows up “iTunes has detected an iPhone in Recovery mode”
- Click OK and then choose ‘Restore iPhone’ to restore your device to the latest version. Then the ‘disable iPhone’ issue will be solved