iPhone and iPad users usually feel difficult to find a backup locally on your large storage capacity. But there is now an easy solution to backup the data on your iOS device and then restore without any mistake. That’s using an external hard drive. So in this post, we will show you how to back up your iPhone/iPad to the external hard drive on your Mac with the help of iTunes.
Steps to Backup iPhone or iPad to an External Hard Drive
These steps are compatible with all versions of Mac OS X as well as all any version of iOS and iTunes software. Perform the steps below to back up your data to the external drive:
- First, close iTunes on your Mac if you have not already.
- Plug the external hard drive with the help a USB cable. Now, create a new folder for only iTunes backup.
- Now, open a new Finder window and press Command + Shift + G, then enter the following command:
- Go to the folder, named Backup. After that, you copy and paste the file to the folder you just created in the external hard drive.
- After you paste the file to the new folder, you no longer need to rename it.
- To continue to back up your iPhone/iPad to an external hard drive, launch the ‘Terminal’ app, which can be found in the path ‘/Applications/Utilities/’ and then enter the command:
ln -s /Volumes/FileStorage/iTunesExternalBackupSymLink/Backup/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync
Note: make sure you change the names of the external drive and folder before pressing the return button.
Also read: How To Create A Partition On Your Mac
- Now, close the Terminal app and check if the symbolic link was created by going back to ‘~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/’.
- Next, launch iTunes and connect your iOS device to your Mac. Then choose ‘This Computer’ as the destination of the backup before pressing ‘Back Up Now’.
- After backing up to external hard drive is complete, return to the folder in the external drive. After that, check if there is currently a backup folder storing a hexadecimal subdirectory.
These are all steps to back up your iPhone an external hard drive and you can restore it in the future. However, remember that the backup will be failure if you don’t connect the external hard drive to your Mac.