The iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra versions come with a new space-saving image file format, called High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF).From the new iPhone 7 or 2017 iPad Pro, there are files stored as .HEIC files, HEIF images that take advantage of the efficient H.265 codec to deliver half the size of the popular JPEG format without affecting the image quality.
So, for the compatibility and other purposes, you want to convert your HEIF images to JPEGs. If you are finding the way, here is how to convert HEIF Images to JPEGs on Mac using iMazing developers.
HEIF → JPEG conversion
You shouldn’t convert your HEIFs into JPEGs if it is just sharing some HEIFs online.
As iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra’s Share menu falls back to the more compatible JPEG format, so it will convert any shared HEIF files into the more compatible JPEG format without tapping the original HEIF files.
AirDrop is also a great way to send HEIFs as JPEGs format wirelessly to a Mac since AirDrop will automatically perform the HEIF → JPEG transcoding by default.
If you’re shooting images in HEIF format and want to transfer the .HEIC files in the JPEG format, iOS comes to a solution: in Settings → Photos, and then choose the Automatic option below the Transfer to Mac or PC.
After that, it will send any HEIF images and H.265 videos in the respective JPEG/H.264 formats when you use USB method to transfer media.
However, there are some situations when syncing HEIFs as it causes troubles with Apple’s new file format. Although the iOS 11 or macOS High Sierra can read HEIF files, the compatibility issues still arise as many popular apps don’t yet support the new format of Apple.
How To Convert HEIF to JPEG Format
- First download and install the iMazing HEIC Converter app from Mac App Store for free.
You will need a Mac running on macOS 10.8 version or higher or a minimum Windows 7 computer to download iMazing app.
- Once done, launch iMazing HEIC Converter on your computer.
A splash screen will welcome you, prompting you to drag HEIF images from the Finder and then drop them its window.
- Open a folder containing HEIC files that you want to convert.
- Command (⌘) and click on the images you’d like to convert. You can also choose Select Allfrom the Finder’s Edit menu, or press Command (⌘)-A, to select all files.
- Drag and drop the file onto the iMazing HEIC Converter window.
- Confirm that all HEIF files you dropped are already in the app’s window.
- Click on the popup menu next to Format, then select JPEG as your desired format.
- Remember to tick on the box next to Keep EXIF data as unticking the box will yield JPEGs as the valuable metadata will not be saved by your camera
- Drag the slider next to Quality in order to set your compression level.
- Click on the Convert button to start the process
- After the successful conversion, the app puts up a dialog box. Simply click on OK to finish using iMazing HEIC Converter and then locate your JPEGs.
These are steps to convert HEIF to JPEG files. If you find this post useful, let’s know in the comment below.