The hard drives on your Mac have been filling with stuff you’ve collected for years. Some stuff is used frequently, but other stuff has been forgotten and still sits in a box. Until the clutter becomes too much and you will need to start getting rid of things. But the question arises that how you sort the import stuff from the trash. Fortunately, for macOS Sierra users, the Optimized Storage feature can help you. Optimized Storage can take the files stored in iCloud and then move them off of your computer if the local storage is full.
Optimized Storage comes with four features that allow you to enable separately or all together, including Store in iCloud, Optimize Storage, Empty Trash Automatically, and Reduce Clutter. Here is how to use four features on your Mac.
How to access Optimized Storage
First of all, you need to access the Optimized Storage on your Mac. There are two common ways to access it. The first is extremely easy. Just wait until your storage is full and you’ll receive a notification for optimizing your storage. Click Yes to go to the Optimized Storage window. Another way is accessing Optimized Storage manually. To do so:
- Click Apple icon ()at the upper left corner.
- Choose About this Mac in the drop-down menu.
- Click on the Storage tab in the System Information.
- Select Details and it will then open four Optimized Storage tools on the right side of window
How to use Store in iCloud
It’s simply a one-stop shop for enabling iCloud Photo Library and Documents Syncing. Once it’s turned on, you can choose one or both iCloud syncing features. If you turned them on prior, Store in iCloud would not affect your iCloud storage any further. If you have not enabled iCloud Photo Library or Desktop and Documents Syncing yet, your iCloud storage limit will be affected.
- Choose Store in iCloud.
- Tick the Store files from Desktop and Documents in iCloud Drivebox in order to store all files on your desktop or Mac’s Documents folder.
- Choose Store photos and videos in iCloud Photo Library to store all original photos and videos.
- Click on Store in iCloudto turn on iCloud features.
Also read: How to Stream Media from Mac to Chromecast
How to use Optimize Storage
When you choose Optimize Storage, it will then delete these files from your computer. In case you want to watch them again, you need to re-download them from iTunes. You can also store them in your email attachments by setting it up so that recent email attachments can be stored on your Mac, or in the cloud and download files.
- Click on Optimize… in the Optimize Storage section.
- Choose Optimize again to confirm if you want to turn on the feature to remove iTunes movies and TV shows that you’ve watched.
How to use Empty Trash Automatically
We’re sure that many of you here forget to regularly empty the trash bin. However, Mac’s trash bin never gets full, so you are not able to realize you are stocking up digital waste. But, the Empty Trash Automatically feature will help you do that as it will erase items stored in the Trash for more than 30 days and you won’t have to worry about it anymore.
- Turn On in the Empty Trash Automatically feature in the Optimized Storage window.
- Click on Turn On again to confirm your choice.
How to use Reduce Clutter
The Reduce Clutter section requires you manually cleaning the files on your Mac. The categories, which represent the folders storing the older files on your Mac will place on the left side of the Optimized Storage window.
You can also click on Review Files in the Reduce Clutter section or choose a Folder on the right side of the window. After that, go through the files individually and decide if you want to keep them from your Mac or not.
Here is how to use four sections in the Optimize Storage feature on your Mac. If you feel this post useful, let’s know in the comment below.