Find my iPhone is estimated to be a great security feature from Apple that can help iOS users locate their missing or stolen iPhone/iPad by login in icloud.com or using the Find My iPhone app on other iOS devices or Mac. Find my iPhone is basically an iPhone tracker which can help to locate your missing device as long as you’ve enabled Send Last Location feature. Once Send the Last Location is turned on, your device will then send its location when the battery is going to die and you will know the place to start searching for your phone. However, this post today does not instruct you to enable Find my iPhone and the Send Last Location feature on your iPhone/iPad. There are sometimes when you want to disable Find my iPhone feature, like if you plan on giving your device away or selling it to another person. If you wonder how to disable Find my iPhone, we’ll go through three methods to accomplish the process to help you turn it off. Let’s see!
How to Disable Find My iPhone Directly From Your iPhone
The process to turn off Find my iPhone is very simple if you still have your phone in your hand. In case you’re selling it or giving it away, there are several things you’ll have to do if you want to protect your data.
- Launch the Settings app.
- Tap on your iCloud option at the top of the display (from iOS 10.3.1)
- Scroll down to bottom and tap on Find my iPhone option.
- Toggle Find my iPhone off and then type in your Apple ID Password when prompted. Send the Last Location will also be automatically disabled.
How to Turn Off Find My iPhone from Find My iPhone App
In case you don’t have your device in hand, you can use Find My iPhone app on a Mac or another iPhone/iPad and then disable Find My iPhone from this app. However, doing so will erase your device. If you only want to turn off Find My iPhone, simply follow the instructions below to disable the feature from Settings. To disable Find My iPhone using the Find My iPhone app:
- Open the Find My iPhone app on another device
- Choose the device you want to erase.
- Tap on Actions.
- select Erase iPhone.
Also read: How To Delete Multiple Emails On iPhone/iPad
How to Disable Find My iPhone from icloud.com
If you don’t have another iOS device or a Mac handy, and you still want to sign your device out of Find my Phone, you can do it by visiting icloud.com. However, keep in mind that it will not just sign your device out of Find my iPhone, but also format all settings and data your old device, restore it to factory settings so that it’s ready for the new owner.
- Visit https://www.icloud.com/ with your Apple ID. In case your old device is protected by two-factor authentication, you will have to enter the six-digit code sent by Apple to you.
- Tap on Find iPhone icon.
- You are now asked to enter your account password again.
- Tap on All Devices menu at the top, and then choose the device you want to disable Find my iPhone.
- Tap on Erase iPhone, choose Remove from Account.