System crashes leading to the unresponsive screen is a popular problem that many iOS users encountered after installing a new update. This occurs when a number of apps become rogue after the system transition. If apps go rogue, there are also various symptoms triggered. Thus, your phone system might suddenly stop working. Such problems can happen with both old and new devices after installing an iOS update.
Highlighted in this post is a post-update issue that occurs on the new iPhone XR. Read on this post to find out what you need to do if your iPhone XR suddenly acts up or and is not responding properly after an iOS installation. The following solutions will help you fix problems and system errors on your iPhone XR.
Solutions to fix iPhone XR not responding after an iOS update
Solution 1: Force restart your iPhone
The first solution to fix the unresponsive display problem on the iPhone is doing a force restart. It works the same as a simple restart, but you need to use more physical buttons. If the usual restart method could not be performed since the display is not responding to touches, this method is necessary. Similar to a soft reset, a force restart will not affect any saved data on your phone, so you won’t lose any personal information. Here’s how to perform a force restart on your iPhone XR:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Do the same with the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Power button for a few seconds and then release when your phone boots up.
If your iPhone can start up and works properly again, follow the next workarounds to get rid of the triggers.
Solution 2: Install pending app updates
Apps going rogue after an update installation are those that have not been updated. If you haven’t set up to install updates for your apps automatically, there is a chance that some of your apps could not meet the minimum requirements after you install the latest iOS update. Thus, loading these apps might lead to a problem since they dot support any more or they are updated. To check for any pending updates of your apps, just follow these steps below
- Open App Store and then tap onUpdates
- Scroll through the list of apps with pending updates.
- To install an individual app update, simply tap on the Update button next to it.
- Tap on Update All button if you want to install all app updates at once. This option is only available if there are multiple app updates.
To update apps, your phone needs to be connected to a fast and stable Wi-Fi internet, has sufficient power and storage space enough. After the process is done, reboot your iPhone to refresh the operating system and apply these new changes.
Solution 3: Reset all settings on your iPhone
Symptoms that occur after an iOS update can be fixed just by resetting all settings. This method will rule out invalid settings that override from the triggers since some updates can automatically override system settings and options. Here’s how to get it done:
- Open Settings app from the Home screen.
- Tap on General > Reset.
- Choose Reset all settings from the available option.
- Enter your passcode when prompted.
- Tap on the popup to confirm all settings reset.
Once the reset is done, your iPhone will reboot by itself and then load up all default options. So, you will have to enable individual features such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi if you want to use them again on your device.
Also see: How To Fix Audio Problems On iPhone XR
Solution 4: Factory reset your iPhone
If none of the prior methods worked, the problem might be more complex. To resolve complex system errors, restoring your iPhone to its factory defaults is usually necessary. However, you should only consider it among the last options since the process will result to data loss. To avoid losing your important data, you should back them up to iCloud or iTunes. Once you’re set, just follow these steps below to factory reset your iPhone XR:
- Launch Settings
- Tap on General > Reset.
- Select Erase all content and settings
- Enter your passcode when you are prompted.
- Finally, tap on the popup to confirm a full factory reset.
If you could not be carried out the above method since your iPhone screen is still unresponsive, you can then use iTunes to restore your iPhone with a computer. However, to avoid system conflicts and errors, make sure your computer is running on a compatible operating system that supports your iPhone and has the latest iTunes version installed. Once done, get started with these steps below
- Open iTunes on your computer and plug your iPhone into the computer using a certificated Lightning cable.
- If you are prompted Trust This Computer or enter your passcode, simply follow the onscreen instructions to continue.
- Click on your iPhone XR icon showing up in iTunes.
- Select the Summary section and choose Restore [iPhone]
- Click on Restore again when asked.
iTunes will then start erasing your iPhone and then install the latest software available.
Solution 5: Restore your iOS device in Recovery Mode
Performing an iOS restore in the recovery mode is the latest resort when dealing with major system issues, which could not be fixed by a factory reset. This method will put your iPhone in a recovery state and then fix errors as well as repair the software on your iPhone. Before proceeding, try to back up your important files as they will be lost during the process. To getting started, connect your iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes software. After your iPhone XR is connected, follow these steps to force restart your device:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button
- Do the same with the Volume Down button
- Press firmly the Power button on your phone.
- Do not release it when you see the Apple logo. Next, keep holding the button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen on your phone.
- When you are prompted with Update or Restore options, simply select Update to reinstall iOS update without erasing your data. Otherwise, you can choose Restore
It will prompt iTunes to start downloading the latest iOS version and install it on your iPhone. The process usually takes 25 minutes, so you should be patient.