There is no doubt as Google Chromecast is one of the best gadgets in the recent years. It can turn any TVs into a smart television, and you can then easily watch YouTube or Netflix on a bigger screen just by using your smartphone to control.
But Chromecast does not stop there because there are still a lot of other reasons that would make many users love it. It even allows you to cast any music, videos, or photographs to a bigger screen. This post today will show you how to stream media from your Mac’s hard drive to Chromecast.
Requirements for Streaming Media from Mac
- Google Chrome Cast: There is not much difference between the new Chromecast 2.0 version or the original one since both of them come with a similar functionality for Mac.
- Mac computer: Although we’ve not tested with Hackintosh builds yet, it should be able to work properly.
- A stable Wi-Fi Connection: make sure that both Chromecast and Mac are connected to the same Wi-Fi hotspot. None of them is running on a VPN network.
- Chromecast and Chrome extension: Although it’s not too important, it can help you get a browser tool for Chrome and Chromecast.
Stream Movies from Mac to Chromecast
Since Chromecast specializes in movies, we’ll start with that. With the online movies, you can make Chromecast into a media center for your TV. But it’s different for the files locally stored. To do this, check out two apps below.
Airflow –Cast Content from Mac to Chromecast
Airflow is great software for streaming videos from mac to Chromecast. Moreover, its interface is also easy to use, and you would be able to master it within a few minutes. All you need to do is selecting the correct Chromecast, then drag-and-drop or add your videos and then play it.
It is a free, premium app with some free of cost features. However, the drawback of the free version is that you are not able to change the subtitle’s appearance and make your own playlists. Besides, it only supports Chrome, which might be a poor browser with some MacOS users.
Stream Music from Mac to Chromecast
MacBook has a quite low volume with its built-in speakers, but there are some simple methods to fix this problem by the using external speakers or headphones.
If these speakers are better than the one on your Mac, you should use them as an alternative. After you connect to Chromecast, your Mac audio can be easily streamed on the TV.
- First, download and install Soundflower to transfer the audio to other applications.
- Double click Soundcast’s ZIP file to extract it.
- Drag and drop it to the Applications
- Run the Soundcast app by double-clicking on it.
The Soundcast icon will now display on your Mac OS menu. Click on it to view the Cast to option. Now, choose the most relevant Chromecast from the menu and play any audio from your Mac via the accessory speakers. You can use whichever app you like such as Spotify, iTunes or other browsers.
Also read: How To Convert HEIF Images To JPEGs On Mac
Plex – All in One Streaming Solution
The mentioned applications are very easy to use, but if you have the leisure time, Plex app is a better choice for you. It allows you to manage videos, movies, music just in a single app. Although it is a bit difficult for newbies, it is still worth trying.
Just by doing these measures, you can easily case the local media from your Mac to Chromecast. Let’s know in the comment if you have troubles.