The issue addressed in this article is one of those that happened after the iOS 12.1 update. Although it’s not a big problem with some people, other iPhone users who are particular with alarm schedules will be afflicted. Keep reading this post to find out what you should do if your alarms failed to work after updating your iPhone XS to the latest iOS 12.1 version.
How to fix iPhone XS alarm that stopped working after iOS 12.1 update
Before proceeding, you need to make sure that the date and time settings on your iPhone XS are properly configured. Incorrect date and time settings come from the underlying cause. If the update overrides the date and time settings on your phone, it will result to time or date conflicts. So, you should check it first. If necessary, you can enable automatic date and time settings on your iPhone. If the alarm is still not working even when the date and time are properly set, you should try these subsequent solutions below.
Solution 1: Reboot your iPhone XS
A simple reboot is recommended after installing the latest software update on your phone. Performing a soft reset is the simplest solution to fix various types of issues, which have been caused by random app errors as well as system glitches. After a software update, your phone apps might go rogue due to the recent changes, which could affect the clock app you’re using. To clear out glitches, follow these steps below to reboot your iPhone XS:
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds.
- Release it when you the Slide to Power Off command and drag the slider to the right to switch off your phone
- After 1 minute, press and hold the Power button until your iPhone boots up.
Now, test the alarm and check if it’s already working.
Solution 2: Manage your alarm settings
Sometimes, there might be a problem with your current alarm settings. So, to clear these out, you need to access your Clock app settings to manage your alarm. If you’re using the stock clock for your iPhone alarm, then you can follow these steps:
- Open the Clock app on your iPhone
- Tap on Alarm
- Tap on Edit from the upper-left corner and then choose the alarm that you want to edit.
- Toggle the switch to enable the alarm if necessary.
- Now, swipe up and down on the pickers to set up hours, minutes to your preferred time.
- Manage other alarm options like Repeat, Label, Sound, and Snooze according to your preference.
- Tap on Sound and select the desired sound for your alarm to change the sound. Make sure you don’t set the Sound value is to None. Test the sound and increase the volume level by pressing the Volume Up button.
- After you complete setting the new time for your alarm, simply tap on the Save button on the upper-right corner.
If you use a third-party app for your alarm, you need to navigate to the app’s settings menu and choose your appropriate options.
You can also set an alarm sound if the built-in alarm sounds are not up to your standards. Here’s how to do so:
- Open the Clock
- Tap on Alarm tab to see your saved alarms.
- Tap on the Edit button in the upper-left corner.
- Choose Alarm you wish to customize the sound.
- Tap on Sound and then select the option to Pick a sound.
- Choose your favorite option like Artist, Albums, Songs, etc.
- Pick up the song you want to use for the alarm sound.
- Tap on Back button after making a selection.
- Tap on Save button on the upper-right corner.
To make sure the problem isn’t caused by some conflicting alarms, you can delete other saved alarms on your iPhone. To do this, choose the alarm you want to delete and tap on Delete Alarm option.
After doing all these changes, tap on Save to apply the recent changes to your alarm settings. After that, check if the alarm is already working correctly.
Solution 3: Install pending app updates
If you are using a third-party alarm app and you suddenly face troubles with the alarm functions after updating your iPhone XS to the latest iOS 12.1 version, your apps need to be updated to make it compatible with the new version. You can manually check for pending app updates from the App Store. Here’s how to do it:
- Open App Store app on your iPhone
- From the main screen, tap on the Updates tab and you will see a list of apps with pending updates.
- Scroll down and find your clock app and tap on the Update button next to it.
- If there are multiple app updates available, tap on the Update All button to install all updates at once.
When the process is done, restart your iPhone to apply the recent changes to your apps as well as refresh the clock app.
Solution 4: Factory reset on your iPhone XS
A factory reset can be seen the last possible resort to try on. If the problem is caused by more complex errors, this would be necessary. However, you should note that the reset will result to permanent data loss as all settings on your iPhone will be restored to the original configuration. Should you wish to continue, make sure to back up all your important data through iCloud or iTunes. When you’re all set, follow these steps below:
- Open Settings app from the Home screen
- Tap on General > Reset.
- Choose Erase all content and settings option. It will erase everything from your phone internal storage, including installed apps, customized settings, as well as personal information.
- Enter your device passcode when prompted
- Tap on the popup to confirm a factory reset.
When it is completed, your iPhone will reboot itself and then load all factory default settings. As soon as your iPhone XS boots up, set your device as new with the initial setup wizard. Now, try to set up a new alarm on your phone and you see it works properly.